Board policy concerning the admission and attendance of non-resident students in West Hartford public schools is guided by state law, and the Board's interest in maintaining stability for the student and his or her classmates when reasonable.
A non-resident child may enroll in West Hartford schools under the following conditions:
1. When he/she lives in West Hartford with a relative or non-relative and the following conditions prevail:
a. that the placement is permanent;
b. is provided without pay; and
c. not for the sole purpose of obtaining school accommodations.
2. On a tuition basis in special education programs when the local enrollment is below the established desirable class size and by mutual agreement.
3. On a tuition basis for classes of the West Hartford Summer School.
4. When a student is enrolled through the auspices of Project Choice.
A child who becomes a non resident subsequent to his or her enrollment in the district may continue to attend West Hartford schools under the following conditions:
1. Upon the recommendation of the Superintendent in order to prevent a deleterious interruption of students' educational program within a given school when the family has moved from West Hartford.
2. With the approval of the Superintendent of Schools, a high school student who has completed at least one full school year in a West Hartford high school may be permitted to complete the remaining full school years at that high school on a tuition basis if his/her parents move from West Hartford; except that, with the approval of the Superintendent of Schools, a student who has completed at least the sophomore and junior years in a West Hartford high school when his/her parents move from West Hartford may be permitted to complete the senior year tuition free.
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes:
4-17e through 4-185 Uniform Administrative Procedure Act
10-186 Duties of local and regional boards of education re school attendance. Hearings. Appeals to state board. Establishment of hearing board.
10-253 School privileges for students in certain placements and temporary shelters.
Adopted: March 21, 1988
Reviewed: May 1, 2007